How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39018
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a corporation . Just found out that my workers compensation

Resolved Question:

I have a corporation . Just found out that my workers compensation insurance has lapsed.
I have an employee that got injured at my place of work. He is part time only because he is collecting disability because he is on dialysis. He works about 3 days a week.
He gets paid by cash and a little by check. Now because of his illness with his kidneys the
Injuries are creating a problem there will be lots of surgeries.
Do I just pay.
Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
If you don't pay, then the employee can sue you for negligence and get damages that would exceed workers compensation claims amounts. The worker can also complain to the Department of Workers Compensation and you could be heavily fined (and, even criminally prosecuted -- though your facts suggest that this was an innocent mistake.

You may want to talk to the insurer to see if you can reinstate the policy during the period of the employee's injury. If you can, then great -- if not, then you may have to pay the bills so as to avoid more serious legal action.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you