California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

If I was offered a job interview at an international school

Customer Question
abroad and went to the...
If I was offered a job interview at an international school abroad and went to the interview, would that be a violation of unemplyment insurance rules?

What are the rules about seeking job opprotunities abroad?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
3/1/2012
California Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 5 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your confusion.

While attending an interview would certainly not be a violation of the regulations dealing with unemployment claims---if you take the position, then you would have to report the income earned from that position to unemployment---regardless of where in the world you were physically working---and you might lose some or all of your benefits at that time, based on the amount of money that you earn in the new job.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug

I will accept after the follow-up, you can review my history.

I am a qualified teacher having a hard time finding work in the states. Some friends of mine have had luck at international schools.

Can you send me more details about searching for work abroad. What would be considered a violation or not?

Good morning,

So long as you continue to search for employment in the state in which you are receiving benefits, you may ALSO apply for positions outside the state as well---including overseas positions.

In terms of searching for employment abroad, please understand that I am an employment law attorney, and not a headhunter. I simply would not know where to begin in terms of pointing you to teaching jobs abroad---I'm sorry, and I hope that you understand.

A violation will only occur if you cease searching for employment in the state where you are receiving benefits, or if you find employment and earn income and fail to report it to unemployment.

Thank you for agreeing to accept my Answers. It is greatly appreciated.

Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.

Doug
LawTalk, Attorney

Already accepted.

Follow up:

Any regulations or fine points you can think of about continuing to file while searching abroad?

I will continue applying for jobs in California. On top of that if I go to an interview in another country should I notify the EDD?

I want to make sure I am NOT in violation of unemplyment laws.

If you travel out of country to apply for a job, you may not claim unemployment benefits during that time you are gone, as you are not actively searching for emoloyment in CA during that time.

Doug

What if I am seeking a job in California by sending my C/V to schools there over the internet?

Essntially I am doubling my efforts.

You are treated as not looking for work in CA during periods that you are out of state---for whatever reason.
LawTalk, Attorney
LawTalk, Attorney