California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I am an hourly employee. My employer is requiring me to read…

Customer Question
I am an hourly employee...
I am an hourly employee. My employer is requiring me to read a book for the annual company training in my "personal time" (i.e., off the clock). Is this legal?

Also, I realize that this somehow got put in the category of "California Employment Law"... but, this is incorrect. I am in Texas.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
3/1/2012
California Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Patrick, Esq.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

California law mandates that workers be paid for all hours that they are subject to the "control of the employer." Morillion v. Royal Packing Co. (2000) 22 Cal.4th 575 Thus, if a manager REQUIRES that an employee read certain literature in their off hours, they would be subject to the control of their employer during that time and would be entitled to compensation. If, on the other hand, the book was merely a recommendation and the employee was not forced to read it, that time would likely not be compensable.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

My greatest concern is that you are satisfied with the answer I provide, so please do not hesitate to contact me with follow-up questions. Although I cannot always provide good news, I hope that my answer gives you a better understanding of the law and your rights so that you can obtain the best possible result under the circumstances. Also, please bear in mind that experts are not credited for unaccepted answers, so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to "accept" my answer and leave positive feedback.

Finally, none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.
Thank you for taking the time to reply - I am sorry that I realized after posting that it somehow got posted under "California Employment Law" - argh. I see the case you referenced was in California - is the same type of thing true in Texas?
Not a problem. I will request that the moderators transfer your question to the general employment law section, where another expert will be able to address this issue for you.

Very best regards.