California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

If a commissioned employee is paid weekly and has one paycheck…

Customer Question
If a commissioned employee is...
If a commissioned employee is paid weekly and has one paycheck that does not meet minimum wage, is the company required to pay the employee minimum wage for that week when all other combined pay averages over minimum wage?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
2/27/2012
California Employment Lawyer: Joseph, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, an employer is required to pay a commissioned employee minimum wage for any pay period in which the employee's commissions amount to less than minimum wage.
Is it possible to pay an additional fee to get more information? I would like to know under what section, state or federal law, that the answer to my question is found. I have been researching this for a while and have not found the answer on my own. I would like to be able to reference back to the actual law in the future if this question arises again.
You can leave a bonus if you are satisfied with the additional information provided.

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, employees who are paid on commission must be paid at least minimum wage.

The citation for that is available here, on the Department of Labor website, which states that employees paid on commission must be paid at least minimum wage:

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/wages-commissions.htm

Joseph,

Just one more clarification. I have already found the law that you directed me to prior to contacting you, but the law does not clarify if it is based on a single pay period or if can be interpreted as being over the course of employment the employee makes well over minimum wage. Because the employee continually earns over minimum wage, do they need to be compensated for this one pay period that is short?
Joseph,

I beleive the site was having technical difficulties when I posted a question for additional clarification. I've been waiting for an answer since that time, which is the reason I have not accepted. Please see my question posted on 2/27/12 @ 3:24 pm. If you do not have access to our conversation thread please let me know and I will repost.

Thanks