How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am a retired teacher and I substitute teach a couple

Resolved Question:

Hello, I am a retired teacher and I substitute teach a couple of days a week to supplement my retirement check. I have been asked to sub, I click on the job and I am hired. Twice now they called and said the job had been cancelled, once as I was headed out the door. Do they owe me the $ or another job? I thought once I clicked "Yes" they were duty bound to carry thru. Isn't this a contract? I live in California.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Under California law, if you show up for a job that is canceled you are due 'reporting time pay' of at least 2 hours for showing up for the job.

If your employer refuses to pay you this 'reporting time pay' for the two times that you showed up for the canceled job, you can file a wage claim against the employer with the Department of Industrial Relations.

You can do so using the forms available here:
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you