How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my company is requiring that I use a personal credit card for

Resolved Question:

my company is requiring that I use a personal credit card for business travel expenses. the problem is that I am recovering from bankruptcy and do not have a credit card to do this. the company is quick to reimburse me but I have had to use personal savings to cover my travel costs. most of my co-workers don't mind using their credit cards due to the miles and other benefits they receive. Normally I wouldn't either. However, it does not seem right that I have to personally fund my work from cash. Do I have any recourse to refuse to pay for my travel?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am still waiting for a response.
Thank you.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, California Labor Code Section 2802 only requires that employers indemnify employees for travel expenses, so your employer can require you to use a personal credit card for your travel expenses as long as the employer reimburses you for those expenses.

The section of the code is below:

(a) An employer shall indemnify his or her employee for all necessary expenditures or losses incurred by the employee in direct consequence of the discharge of his or her duties, or of his or her obedience to the directions of the employer, even though unlawful, unless the employee, at the time of obeying the directions, believed them to be unlawful. (b) All awards made by a court or by the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement for reimbursement of necessary expenditures under this section shall carry interest at the same rate as judgments in civil actions. Interest shall accrue from the date on which the employee incurred the necessary expenditure or loss. (c) For purposes of this section, the term "necessary expenditures or losses" shall include all reasonable costs, including, but not limited to, attorney's fees incurred by the employee enforcing the rights granted by this section.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But I do not have a credit card. What are my options?
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, your company can still require that you pay the initial expenses form your savings or checking account as long as it reimburses you for those expenses,
Joseph, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you