How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am working for very small insurance company and there was

Resolved Question:

i am working for very small insurance company and there was a verbal agreement on how i was going to get paid. On the policies i would sale i would get 50% of the commission and if i didn't make at leased $640 every 15 days. In the policies i sale then the salary would kick in and i would at lease make the minimum California salary. I was fine with that but about to months ago my employer with no notification changed the agreement we verbally had and started paying me full commission and i was fine to with that change. Now he changed that and now he is not paying me the full commission and he is not even paying me the minimum. And he reduced pay pay with no notice, And when i asked about it he says it was there was not enough sales and he still took half of my commission. Is there something i can do? please help
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Under California law, your employer is required to pay you at least minimum wage if you are not making minimum wage based on the commissions that you receive.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee your employer can change the terms of your employment while you are working, but your employer cannot retroactively take away commissions or wages that you have already earned.

You should file a wage claim against your employer for the amount in unpaid commissions that your employer has withheld from you.

You can file a wage claim with the Department of Industrial Relations using the forms available here:
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you