How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12619
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Further to my previous question, should I make a formal request

Resolved Question:

Further to my previous question, should I make a formal request (in writing) to review my personnel file? And if so, do I make the request to the HR staff member or to my boss or to both?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Your request may be either oral or written. However, it is better to make the request in writing that way you have documented proof that you made it.

Section 1198.5 simply states: "The employer shall make the contents of those personnel records available." Accordingly, the request can typically be submitted to anyone with the authority to grant it acting on behalf of the "employer." A request made to either the boss or HR should be sufficient, but to cover your bases, it can't hurt to send the request to both.

I hope that this adequately clarifies my previous response, and I wish you the best. Again, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.
Patrick, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions