Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I was accused a a false allegation by a former employee during

Customer Question

I was accused a a false allegation by a former employee during his exit interview, and because it was a legal issue regarding gratuity, my employer is counseling me, even though I was not even working at this time. They claim I made an opinion that made the employee not receive his gratuity. They also informed me that if I do not sign my counseling form I do not have the right to view this form on my file. Is this correct and is this ethical conduct?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Is the employer violating any of their own policies that you are aware of by counseling you and requiring that you sign the form?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you need more time?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
No, I don't need more time. I was waiting for a response from you with regard to my question above and as follows:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, we had a recent incident were the manager of the department held on to the gratuities of several associates, (due to the fact it was a larger gratuity) and included some one else, to claim a share of the gratuity that was no suppose to be part of the gratuity.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

If you refuse to engage in illegal activity, or report illegal activity by the employer, state law does normally protect you from retaliation by the employer for doing so.

I'm not sure that is precisely what occurred here, but if it is, if you refused to pay the gratuity to someone who was not entitled to receive it, then the employer should not counsel you in this matter typically and you could retain a local employment law attorney to communicate this to the employer to resolve the matter.

The employer is required by law to permit you to inspect and copy your personnel file by law typically and they cannot refuse to do so because you refuse to sign a document they present you.

However, if they are requesting that you sign the document indicating you have reviewed it, your signature would not normally amount to your agreement with the contents of the document.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.