How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12472
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I spoke with the attorney who will be filing this lawsuit against

Resolved Question:

I spoke with the attorney who will be filing this lawsuit against me, and he is convinced that his client is telling the truth, that the sexual harassment allegations are true, and that he has a very strong case against me. He says there are several witnesses to corroborate her claims. I can only guess that a couple of other female ex-employees conspired with her in hopes of winning a large claim and sharing the settlement. I tried calling one of the biggest attorneys in my city to defend me, and he said it could cost me more than $100,000 to defend me in such a case, and that it would be best to reach a settlement, regardless of whether I am innocent or guilty. I realize there is no such thing as a public defender for civil lawsuits, but what am I supposed to do if I have no personal assets worth more than $5000, no money in the bank, and own a small business that is more than $1 million dollars in debt?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

If you are not able to afford an attorney, you can either proceed by representing your self "pro se," meaning on your own, or you can attempt to find an attorney willing to take your case on a "pro bono" basis, meaning charitably and without cost to you.

A good source of pro bono legal representation is the legal aid society. For a link to their site click here: For a good starting point with pro se representation, you can visit this link:

Even though your assets are minimal, a large judgment exceeding those assets can still be obtained against you, in theory. If such were to occur, it may in some circumstances be dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.
Patrick, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you