California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

Hello, I gave my employee two packages to drop off at the usps

Customer Question
for delivery, it already had...
Hello, I gave my employee two packages to drop off at the usps for delivery, it already had shipping label on them both paid, all she needed to do is to drop it off and thats it. Now its been 6 days, where three days out of those 6 was working days, and till today usps doesnt show my packages as accepted by them, what can I do, is there a way I can get video recording from usps to actually see if those packages were really dropped of or not???

Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
1/4/2012
California Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Patrick, Esq.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

You can request a video from USPS, but typically such recordings are not released unless requested as part of an official police investigation. You can interview the employee regarding the missing packages. Finally, unless the employee has an employment contract guaranteeing them employment for a specified period of time, you can terminate the employee or initiate disciplinary action pursuant to California Labor Code section 2922 ("employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other"). You cannot deduct the value of the missing packages from the wages of the employee who delivered them, even if you believe that she stole their contents.

Unfortunately, there are not too many options to investigate the missing packages in this type of situation.

I sincerely hope that this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer