How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an older friend (73 yrs) who was recently let go by

Resolved Question:

I have an older friend (73 yrs) who was recently let go by his employer for using his deceased fathers SS #. How can this be fixed so that he can get medicare.. IRS problems and SS issues as well. He was with this firm for 17 years and attempted to get the corrections done. In addition, he lives near the Pacific Ocean, and his apartment has mold and would like to get advice on how to handle this matter as well. His health is poor(one lung)) and has difficulty breathing. His wife is seriously obese and in poor health as well.She is 63 years old and will lose her health care as a result of her husband's dismissal.Any advice on how to approach these issues.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Do you know why your friend was using the wrong social security number? Was it an honest mistake?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He was working for a car dealership in the late seventies and a co-worker was shot and killed over a drug deal. A fellow worker suggested that he change his name and personal data so that he could not be tracked down. He had no involvement in the incident, just that he worked with this person that was killed. He literally feared for his life.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

Your friend will need to contact the SSA directly in an attempt to correct his earnings record. I would contact the local legal aid office to see whether their are attorneys or paralegals who can assist him in doing this since he is in a very unusual situation.

Here is a link to the SSA's website to initiate a record correction:

As for the mold, many types of mold are not dangerous, but the landlord does have a legal obligationn to repair and maintain the property in livable condition. Your friend could contact the health department and local housing inspector to report the issue if the landlord is unwilling to make the necessary repairs, since they typically have the authority to compel necessary repairs.

Your friend would normally be eligible for COBRA benefits through the employer to continue health insurance for up to 18 months if he can afford the premium. That would continue coverage until other insurance becomes available.

They may be eligible for Medicare, but the issue with the SSA will need to resolved first. Or, they may qualify for Medi-cal benefits through the state.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you