How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12496
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do I file a slander claim to name co-worker and HR Relation

Resolved Question:

how do I file a slander claim to name co-worker and HR Relation person
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
An individual wishing to file a claim for slander would file a complaint in either the Superior Court of the appropriate jurisdiction or the "small claims" court of the appropriate jurisdiction if the amount in damages does not exceed $7,500.

Here's in an online copy of a very useful book that would assist you in representing yourself: illing+out+pld-pi&source=bl&ots=aMu0LjSdCE&sig=pKk4wtP1qIeP6qiHXoaCAlm-HQI&hl=en&ei=QWtdTrL5B63UiAKcysizBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

You must bear in mind that in order to prevail on a claim of slander, you will need to demonstrate not only that a false statement was made about you, but that it was a statement of FACT, not merely a statement of opinion. For example, "Jane is incompetent" would be a statement of opinion because it is subjective. However, "Jane stole all my files" would be a statement of fact because it is either true or false.

If you are interested in hiring an attorney, certain attorneys may be willing to take your case on a contingency fee basis. This means that you typically don't have to pay unless and until you win your case. For attorney referrals, visit this link: or visit On MartinDale, you can search attorneys by their practice area.

When you contact the attorneys, ask if they offer free consultations. Most should, and this way you can get at least some opinon on your case before you spend money.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.
Patrick, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions