California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

My employer is currently 3 pay periods behind. The last pay

Customer Question
My employer is currently 3...
My employer is currently 3 pay periods behind. The last pay period I was paid was October 1st thru October 15th. Today I was told the next paycheck would be "end of December". This means they will be 2 1/2 months behind in payroll. I have been living off of credit cards for the last month, can I recover the fees and other costs that have resulted from their failure to pay me at the designated times?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
12/2/2011
California Employment Lawyer: Tina, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Tina, Attorney
Hello and welcome,

The employer is violating state law every day that you do not receive your wages past the date on which they were payable.

While you may not normally recover your expenses because of the delinquent payments, you are entitled to receive penalties assessed by the state to cover such expenses normally.

Your recourse typically involves filing a wage claim with the state labor board. They have the authority to investigate and collect the wages and penalties owed to you.

Here is a link to initiate a wage claim:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Attorney
Tina, Attorney