How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My son, who is 19, works for a local Vineyard restaurant.

Resolved Question:


My son, who is 19, works for a local Vineyard restaurant. We have had 2 issues come up recently from his manager.

First: The restaurant manager is asking all employees to buy a certain embroidered polo shirt and jacket for about $60. The clothing is embroidered witht he vineyard's logo.

My son makes minimum wage there and it seems to me this would be a violation of Ca. Labor Code laws as well as perhaps the FLSA laws.

Secondly: A bottle of liquor was found to be missing after last weekend's restaurant operations. The manager sent everyone an e-mail about it and stated that if it happened again that all employees would recieve a deduction from their pay to cover the cost of any missing items. Sounds like balloney to me.

Could you please address the legality of these issues as they would apply to California and Federal law.

Thank you,
Gregory Fox
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The employer must pay for the uniforms required by the employer typically.

See section (d) in the following link:

It would also be a violation of state wage and hour laws for the employer to discipline employees by taking deductions from their wages. If the employer takes this action, a complaint should be filed with the state labor board.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions