How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12472
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a worker just quit on me with no notice. We had an arrangement

Resolved Question:

I had a worker just quit on me with no notice. We had an arrangement for him to pay his own taxes through a 1099. He drew unemployment the whole time he worked for me, while getting cash from me. he is hiding from me now and when i moved my office, i have misplaced his paperwork and he refuses to give me his ssn. How do I get his ssn to file his earnings? what can i do to avoid paying his taxes??
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Although it's not ideal, you can file a 1099 form without the taxpayer's social security number. In a case where he has refused to give you that information, then you would really have no other choice. You would, however, need to know at least his correct legal name and his current address. If you have the correct name and address, then there is a good chance that the IRS will be able to find his records and match them with his social security number.

If you file a form without the social security number, the IRS might send you a notice requesting that information. At that point you would just respond stating that he was unwilling to provide that information.

Also, if you just found out that your worker was collecting unemployment benefits while he or she was working for you, you can report him or her to the EDD for fraud.

I hope this information helps you in deciding what to do. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice. Good luck and please remember to click "accept" so that I get paid for my time. Thanks so much.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, thank you.... I have one last question, i do not know his address because he's staying with his girlfriend. Will Edd give me his address where he' receiving his checks?
He texted me a p.o. box to mail his last check, but he proably changed it. he stays at several residences, his mom's, his dad's in the past.... but now his girlfriend's....
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You can ask, but my feeling is that without at least an address, the EDD may have trouble locating his records. Hope this helps and please remember to click accept so I can get credit. Thanks so much.
Patrick, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you