ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  General practice attorney
19487448

Do hourly employees get paid sick leave?

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 5 years ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

California does not require employers to provide their employees (hourly or salaried) sick time (paid or unpaid). If the employer has at least 50 employees in a 75 mile radius, employees that have worked there at least 12 months and for 1250 hours in the past 12 months are entitled to 12 weeks unpaid leave for medical issues. But other than that, there is no right, under state or federal law, for an employee to have any sick leave. If the employer chooses to provide it as a benefit, then they have to implement it in a non-discriminatory manner, but there's no requirement that they provide it in the first place.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did that clear up your question? Or did you have any other questions?

ScottyMacEsq :

If there is something else that I can help you with, please let me know. Please note that I do not get any credit for the time and effort I spent on this (or any question) unless and until you select "accept". Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Should I continue to wait for your response?

ScottyMacEsq :

Apologies for leaving this chat, but I have to assist other customers. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!