Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I was hired as a disabled person in 1994. I have RA and Lupus,

I was hired as a disabled person in 1994. I have RA and Lupus, and have had surgery to both knees. I need a second surgery but have chosen not to have it at this time. My right leg swells daily and I asked my doctor to write a note so that I could wear jeans to work to deal with the swelling as my dress pants will not stretch. I cannot wear polyester or rayon as I am allergic to it. I do not have client contact, I only deal with staff. My employer refuses to accept the note and states I must wear dress clothes. What are my rights?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Under the Fair Employment and Housing Act your employer is required to make reasonable accomodations for your disability.

It may constitute a reasonable disability for you to be able to wear jeans to work.

You can file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing online at:

www.dfeh.ca.gov