Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I have a small business in California with employees. My staff

I have a small business in California with employees. My staff would like to work their shift without taking a half hour unpaid lunch break which I thought was mandatory. Is this legal? Do they need to take their paid breaks?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The state typically enforces mandatory lunch and other breaks strictly and the requirement cannot normally be modified by agreement with the employees. You would likely be penalized for this practice if the labor board were to investigate, so it should be avoided.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The labor law states briefly that you can waive the lunch break by mutual aggreement, but I was still doubtful. Was your answer absolutely accurate?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
The labor board has indicated that employees may waive break periods but cannot waive lunch periods.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your answer seems to contradict: Which is correct? I'm sorry, but this is confusing.

Revised 3/7/08

In California, an employer may not employ an employee for a work period of more than five hours per day without providing the employee with a meal period of not less than thirty minutes, except that if the total work period per day of the employee is no more than six hours, the meal period may be waived by mutual consent of both the employer and employee.
A.

Employers of California employees covered by the rest period provisions of the Industrial Welfare Commission Wage Orders must authorize and permit a net 10-minute paid rest period for every four hours worked or major fraction thereof. Insofar as is practicable, the rest period should be in the middle of the work period. If an employer does not authorize or permit a rest period, the employer shall pay the employee one hour of pay at the employee's regular rate of pay for each workday that the rest period is not provided.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I was not aware the work period was less than a normal 8 hour period. If it is no more than 6 hours, then the lunch could be waived by mutual written agreement typically.