How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I was employed by a temp. agency in 1996 to a university

Customer Question

Hello, I was employed by a temp. agency in 1996 to a university where I work until the year 2000 in which i became a regular employee. Would any of my time served from 1996 to the year 2000 be counted as time served towards retirement? In 1996 until 2000 I received no benefits from the temp agency or the University.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Time worked at the university as a student or temp does not typically count toward your time for purposes of retirement. I'm sorry.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I work full time in this time frame, as a tech.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Even a full-time temporary position would not normally count toward retirement. I'm sorry.

Here is a link that provides more information with regard to state university policies:
Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a State Law that states that if you work full time for a year under temporary status or two years as a fix term employee then you are consider a full time employee? If so when did it go into affect?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I am not aware of such a law. However, there may be cases pending with regard to this issue. It would be best to retain a local attorney or paralegal to perform legal research to locate the status of the cases since that is beyond the scope of this forum.

Related California Employment Law Questions