How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

laid off

This answer was rated:

I was laid off for a fradulent return not knowing that there was a specefic way to make an employee return, what can I do?
Hello and welcome,

What is your question for me please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was fired for a supposed fradulent return, I made a return in where coupons had been used. I did not have my receipt so the girl that rang me up made the return and I didn't know that there was a specific way to make an employee return so that the coupons would come up. So I got my money back in store credit, and I got fired for it.
I see.

Are you wondering whether you can pursue legal action against the employer or asking about something else with regard to this situation?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would like to know if I could pursue any legal action against the employer or how I can get this off my record?

I see.

You would normally not have legal recourse against the employer unless you have an employment contract indicating otherwise or the employer discriminated or retaliated against you based on some protected status such as race, age, disability, filing a worker's comp claim, or taking FMLA leave.

Assuming no exceptions apply, you would normally be classified as an employee at will and subject to termination with or without good cause.

I would not include this employment on any applications since the employer is likely to provide a negative reference and indicate you are not rehirable.

As long as no criminal charges brought, there should not be a "record" of this incident.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions