How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HI I am a registered Nurse. I started working for a new company

Resolved Question:

HI I am a registered Nurse. I started working for a new company as of aug 15/2011. On Friday 9/30/11 my boss came into my office told me that two times were overlapping on two patients. ( I see patients in their home). He then told me that they have already been billed. One hour later I was called into the office, told that I was going to be suspended pending investigation from corporate compliance. I was to leave the office and they could not talk about it any more. I had to wait at home for their phone call. He did not tell me anything else, whether I was to be paid or how long it would take. It is now 10/4/11 I do not know what to do, or what my rights are. I am the sole supporter of my family, and I think an excellent nurse. Please advise.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

Do you have an employment contract?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I have a contract
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

With an employment contract, the parties have an obligation to carry out the obligations set out under the contract in good faith. The employer's failure to communicate what you may have done wrong would normally involve a breach of their duty of good faith if not a breach of the express terms of the contract.

Because of this, I would look for a local employment law attorney to communicate a demand to the employer to restore your employment status consistent with the contract, or turn over evidence indicating why they have taken the actions they have so it can be determined whether they have a reasonable basis to terminate the agreement or are in breach, which could give rise to a lawsuit for damages.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you