How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can your employer give you a promotion that changes your status

Customer Question

Can your employer give you a promotion that changes your status to "exempt" without notifiying you of the status change; allow you to work overtime and take compensated time off, then 3 years later make you pay it back?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The employer apparently made a error in interpreting the law since it treated you as an hourly employee for 3 years when they could have changed your status to exempt for purposes of overtime.

Employers can promote employees normally without informing them of their change of status, but where the employer erred and continued to pay the employee as an hourly worker, they could not deduct the overpayments from the employee's future wages.

If the employer is attempting to do so, a complaint should be filed with the state labor board.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would the same answer be true if my employer is the State?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
The law typically requires an employee's voluntarily written consent before wage deductions may be made for any employee, yes.

Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you. I think I know how to proceed.


Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
The very best to you. Take care.