How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39045
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a new employee at kaiser. My son is being denied medical

Resolved Question:

I'm a new employee at kaiser. My son is being denied medical bennifits on the basis that he is not named on his birth certificate. I'v been informed that I must provide an ammended birth certificate. When he was born I was told that I could fill in a form and pay a 50 dollor fee to ammend the birth certificate when I decided on a name. However, when I attempted to file the form with his name when he was about 2 months old I was informed by the Yolo County Court system that I must go through the court process of ammending a birth certificate which at the time would have cost about $2,500.00. I could not afford this so he remained name less. I was able to procure a social security card and passport with his chosen name. He's now 18 years of age. Once I obtained the ssn and passport, I didn't worry about the birth certificate. Does Kaiser have the legal right to denie him medical bennifits based on the birth certificate. I'm certain there are many Kaiser employees who use a different name than that on their birth certificate. What course of action should I take? Did Yolo County misinform me about requirements for adding a name to the birth certificate?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

You present a unique circumstance, since most of the time, a parent sends the Department of Public Health the child's name within the time of the child's minority, using a "supplemental name report."

However, since the child is now an adult (18+ yearsof age), only he can amend his birth certificate. Here is a link to the amendment form.

If the Health Department rejects the above-described form, then your son will have to file a Petition to Change Name with the Superior Court. This is a relatively inexpensive process. After he receives the court judgment, then your son can file a Court Ordered Name Change form with the Health Department, and the agency will be forced to change your son's name on the birth certificate.

Note: I realize that your original question was whether or not it's legal for you to be denied health insurance based upon your son's lack of a name on his birth certificate. The answer is "no," it violuates your federal ERISA benefit rights.

However, it is legal to deny your son's healh care application without proof-positive identification. And, while a U.S. Passport is considered proof-positive ID throughout the USA, it will take far less time,, and cost far less, to amend the birth certificate, than it will to file a lawsuit in federal court.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you