How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 9396
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was a bystander in a sexual harassment case (not accuser

This answer was rated:

I was a bystander in a sexual harassment case (not accuser or accused but just caught in the middle). Most sexual harassment cases have to do with retaliation to the victim. Is there anything that protects bystanders if they feel they have been repeatedly over the years, and only since the sexual harassment case, been treated in such a manner where they are "singled out" or discriminated against by the boss? I realise this is a vague question but hoping for some input. One vague example I can give is being lashed out at and reprimanded in an inappropriate manner (w/ door not closed) for something that other colleagues have done without issue and that didn't make sense. The situation is such that I need outside advice and going to the boss or HR is not an option. Also note that almost everyone who had a connection to the case or the accuser/accused has been fired, quit, or let go.
It is illegal for an employer to retaliate against a witness in a sexual harassment case.
The law also protects employees who cooperate in EEOC investigations or serve as witnesses in EEOC investigations or litigation. A recent Supreme Court case confirms that an employee's participation as a witness in an internal investigation is protected, too.

You can get a free consultation from some of the employment attorneys listed by location at

You can file a complaint with DFEH, see
but I urge you to consult a local attorney first. There are several ways to approach this, see

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for accepting my answer.