How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a volunteer at a non-profit organization here in Sacramento

Customer Question

I am a volunteer at a non-profit organization here in Sacramento (8 years) and retired from state service. I have put on charity events with this organization. The Director and I got into a disagreement over one of these events and who had founded the concept. I said I was going to do the event on my own without the organization. That angered the Director who accused me of "Malcious intent" to the organization. Then I was accused of "Inappropriate sexual comments" to staff and guests which is not true. I use to teach classes to care home administrators on avoiding sexual harrassment issues so I know better. The organization had a meeting (trial) about me and removed me from the docent corp of the organization. I was not told of this meeting not alone allowed to defend myself. Nor was I ever told what comments I had made and to who. I believe I was wrongly terminated without due process. As a volunteer would I have any recourse in this situation. I love the organization and I have given them thousands of hours of my time over the last 8 years and have many friends there and I feel I was railroaded by a angry administrator. Is there anything I can do about it? BOB CALDWELL (XXX-XXX-XXXX)
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

While a government employee is typically entitled to due process of law, private employees and volunteers do not typically have the right to it unfortunately.

Because of that and the fact the company had no duty to retain you as a volunteer unless you entered into a contract with them, there would typically be no recourse against the organization.

The only recourse you may have would typically involve filing suit for defamation against individuals who made false statements about you to others that have caused damage to your reputation or other injury.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Related California Employment Law Questions