How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a former City of Stockton employee. I was fired May

Customer Question

Hi, I am a former City of Stockton employee. I was fired May 2011 for misconduct. I am a liscensed water distribution operator and was employed for over 2 years as a Water Systems Operator for the city. The union representation was impotent at best. I was the only African-American operator employed by the city at the time. The last African-American operator employed previously was also fired. I earned complete satisfactory work performance reports throughout my history with the city. But I was involved in a verbal confrontation with a civilian who hit and run my city work vehicle. After termination, my unemployment benefits were denied, but was subsequently reversed through my personal appeal by a neutral judge. The city did not choose to refile their appeal. Do I have a case? Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Did you file a grievance alleging race discrimination through the union?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I don't have any hard evidence to prove racial discrimination. Just the fact that in the last 5 years, both African-American Water Systems Operators employed by the City of Stockton were terminated.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

Such cases are typically proven by circumstantial evidence and evidence indicating that minority employees are being terminated without good cause is normally very persuasive evidence.

Before filing a complaint with the EEOC or state employment commission, you are typically required to exhaust your remedies by filing a grievance with the employer. If the matter is not promptly resolved in your favor, then you should proceed to a formal complaint normally.

It is best also to retain a local employment law attorney to represent you. The facts do indicate race discrimination is likely involved, but you need to retain an attorney to aid you in seeking lost wages and benefits.

Look for attorneys who take contingency fee cases.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.