How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39043
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my doctor has written me off from work due to stress caused

Resolved Question:

my doctor has written me off from work due to stress caused by my boss and my company. Should I file for workman's comp or disability?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
The answer is that you can choose one or the other. If you file a workers comp claim, then you will be examined by an occupational medicine physician. If the physician agrees that your injury is job related, then you have a valid WC claim. If not, then you may have to get a second opinion, and things could get quite adversarial.

Conversely, if you file for disability, you don't have to go through any proof, other than that you're ill, and once that's confirmed, you get paid.

The big difference with WC is that your employer may have to pay for for your injuries until you are medically stable, and then pay you a damage award if you remain in some part disabled. That amount may exceed your potential disability payments.

But, WC is a lot harder to prove, especially with a mental health issue, because it's not obvious.

So, now that you know the difference, you should be able to decide which way to go.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you