How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39043
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

not sure which category my next question falls under or if

This answer was rated:

not sure which category my next question falls under or if you can even answer it. But since you did such a wonderful job answering my first question I thought it wouldnt hurt to ask. Around 4 years ago my husband worked for an employer who did not pay his his vacation pay. The union eventually collected a large some of money from the company that the job was done for. When my husband spoke to a union rep he was told that he would receive his vacation pay. We did receive 550.00 and we are still owed approx. 2500.00. However, the rep now tells us they are taking the employer to civil court . My question to them has still not been answered which is "where did the 80,000 they collected go?"? Is there protection for the employee and is the union(cement masons ) accountable? Thank you
If your husband was actually owed some portion of the $80,000, then he can hire a lawyer and "interplead" into the lawsuit by the union to protect his rights in the money. If he is not owed any portion of that money, then he has no standing to interplead, and no right to discover where the money went -- other than to the extent that any union employee may have in obtaining information concerning the union's activities (which is generally whatever is contained in the union's periodic reports to members).

However, even if your husband were not to interplead, the union will likely pay him what he is owed, unless there is some sort of fraud or embezzlement ongoing.

And, if your husband has evidence that the union is stealing from the members, then he can file a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you