How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband wrote down the wrong amount of earnings and noticed

This answer was rated:

My husband wrote down the wrong amount of earnings and noticed it when he got his new continuing statement. He immediately call EDD and they told him that he would be penalized for 5 weeks. He hasnt even received the check and told them he would not cash it and explained that it was an honest mistake.
Under UI Code 1329.5(e), "Except in the event of fraud, if it is determined that any information provided by the claimant on an affidavit is erroneous, no penalty or refund of benefits shall be imposed on the claimant for the period prior to the calendar week in which an employer provides subsequent wage information."

Based upon the above, your husband can protest the penalty, obtain a hearing, explain that the error was not intended to induce a payment other than that to which he was entitled, and that he contacted EDD as soon as he realized his error -- thereby demonstrating that there was no intent to defraud. Therefore, the court should not deny benefits.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you