How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39187
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

unemployment benfits

This answer was rated:

Hi, I quit my job. I was deployed as a linguist and was working in a hostile environment in Iraq. Things were getting dangerous over there. I asked to be laid off. My emplyer sent me the package of job termination, and I completed it and I signed that I am quiting my job on my own. Now I am back, I a grateful for being back healthy and in one piece. I am proud that I served my country. I live in Los Angeles, California. Global Linguist Soulutions was the company that I was working for as a DOD civilian contractor. My contract term was for one year, and I completed my contract.

 My question, can I apply for unemplyment benifts?

You may be entitled to benefits. There are additional requirements to the unemployment application:

  • Federal civilian employees will be required to mail copies of the Standard Form 8 and Standard Form 50 to EDD. These documents are mailed to the employee at the time of separation.

  • Ex-military personnel will be required to mail a copy of Member 4 of their DD214 to EDD. The DD214 is mailed to the servicemember at the time of separation.

  • If you do not have your DD214, The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) can provide you with information on your military service and copies of your DD214.

The problem for you is that you agreed that you quit voluntarily, which is generally a disqualification. However, if you can show that there was an imminent danger of the sort that you had not originally anticipated, then you may be able to obtain benefits. For a thorough discussion of this issue, see this link.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Socrateaser,


Thanks for your answer, however, it was not helpful enough for my situation.


You see, the company that I worked foe was Global Linguist Solutions, who got a DOD contract. My contract was with the company, not the government, so I was not a federal employee, nor an ex-military which you mentioned in your answer.


So. in my situation, working in a hostile environment, which in my case was Iraq, though I quit my job on my own, can I still get unemployment benifits?



If the issue is that you were employed for a private contractor, and that contractor was not located in California, and your employment was not located in California or anywhere else in the USA, then unless the employer specifically made unemployment contributions on your behalf, then you would not be eligible for uemployment benefits in California.

I note, however, that GLS is located in Richmond, VA. This means that if you were entitled to any unemployment benefits, it would be based upon VA, and not CA law.

It is possible that if you were subject to the control of GLS in VA (under the "base of operations test"), then GLS had the responsibility to pay UI contributions on your behalf, and therefore, you would have the right to benefits in the USA, from the Virginia Employment Commission.

Interestingly, if you are entitled to benefits, then you can have them transferred back to California via reciprocal agreemants between the two states.

So, the next step may be to contact VEC (800-828-1140), and apply for benefits. Because even if GLS did not make contributions on your behalf, it may have been required to, and the failure means that you would be entitled to UI benefits.

See this link for more VEC info.

Hope this helps.