How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an employee is no longer able to physically perform job

This answer was rated:

If an employee is no longer able to physically perform job duties, and is offered a position that pays less salary at the top of its wage range than the employee makes at the job they have been performing, but can no longer do, can the salary be reduced to reflect the work the employee is actually doing?
Thank you for contacting

Yes. The employer normally can reduce the employee's salary to reflect the work actually being done by the employee.

The employee could be entitled to a reasonable accommodation for their current job under the ADA. However, if there is no reasonable accommodation available and the employee cannot perform the required tasks, the employer may typically reduce the employee's wages if they must be reassigned.

Good luck and take care.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and all the best to you.
Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions