How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a Controller for three companies owned by the same

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am a Controller for three companies owned by the same partnership. I am paid partially as an employee from one of these companies to receive health insurance and am 1099'd for the rest of my income. I have worked for these same companies for a little over 13 years and I would like to file for maternity leave. I know I should not have a problem with the company that has been paying me as an employee but is it possible to get this from companies who pay me as a 1099 contractor? I am treated as an employee and do not work for anyone else.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

This situation appears to be illegal since if you are treated as an employee, you should typically be paid all of your earnings in wages and not through a 1099 which indicates you are an independent contractor.

To resolve this, it is normally best to file a complaint with the labor board to investigate and have you properly classified. Here is a link to their website:

If the employer has at least 50 employees, you would typically be entitled to protected leave under state and federal law if you are properly classified as an employee and have worked for the employer at least 1,250 hours in the last calendar year.

If the employer is not willing to recognize your right to receive such leave, then it is typically best to retain a local employment law attorney to aid in enforcing your right to leave.

Good luck and take care.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and all the best to you.
Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you