How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a supervisor at work that is seeing my wife while were

Resolved Question:

i have a supervisor at work that is seeing my wife while were going through a divorce and i told my that was going to work yesterday but actualy i called off work but i didn't want her to know but my supervisor told that i called off knowing that were going through a divorce can he do that and can they fire me if i complainte to human resource
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

There is no law that directly prohibits a supervisor from dating another employee's spouse.during a divorce.

However, the supervisor's actions may be what is called an "intentional interference with contract," which means that the supervisor is attempting to get your fired for a wrongful purpose -- that is, to get you "out of the way," and create a financial hardship for you, so as to make it easier for the supervisor can date your wife.

This sort of lawsuit ordinarily would be very costly to pursue. But, if the supervisor is engaged in this conduct while acting within the scope of employment, then you may be able to sue the employer for the supervisor's actions.

Also, if you are a member of a minority class (race, color, nationality, religion, sex, age or disability), then you may be able to claim that the supervisor's actions are related to your minority status, than it is to a personal dislike of you.

In my view, your circumstance is sufficiently complicated that you will need an employment rights attorney to assist. For referral, see this link.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions