How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39026
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked as a hearing aid dispenser in Kuwait for 17 years.

Resolved Question:

I worked as a hearing aid dispenser in Kuwait for 17 years. Kuwait is a middle east country and has no licensing board for hearing aid idspenser. However, I have certification from two previous employers certifying to my abilities to perform hearing tests and hearing aid fitting. Now, I am legal resident alien in San Diego, California. I have my SS# XXXXX Employment Authrotiy Card. I want to employ as a hearing aid dispenser sans licensing certificate from Kuwait. Will I qualify for a temporary license under B&P code 3356 given my personal circumstance? Thank you. Gerardo R. Perez,[email protected]
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

The law provides no express license exemption for your circumstances. However, the law does permit issuance of a temporary license to persons who have dispensed hearing aids in "another state."

The term "state" generally refers to one of the 50 U.S. states. However, that definition would exclude persons who could have satisfied the law but for the fact that they dispensed hearing aids in the District of Columbia (the nation's capitol), or in Pureto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and any other U.S. territory that is not a state.

Given this ambiguity, you could write a letter to the licensing board and request a waiver, based upon your experience, and the fact that you did perform the similar job in "another state," i.e., it is common to call a foreign nation a "state."

If the board rejects your request, then you would have to sue (probably not worth the cost), or simply go through the process of obtaining a license under the regular process.

Note: the Board website can be found at this link.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you