How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39178
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a remote employee (Home Office). can I request my employer

Customer Question

I am a remote employee (Home Office). can I request my employer to forward a copy of my employment file?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
Cal. Labor Code 1198.5(c) requires that an employer make an employee's personnel file available for inspection pursuant to the following conditions:

  1. Keep a copy of each employee's personnel records at the place where the employee reports to work.
  2. Make the employee's personnel records available at the place where the employee reports to work within a reasonable period of time following an employee's request.
  3. Permit the employee to inspect the personnel records at the location where the employer stores the personnel records, with no loss of compensation to the employee.
As you are a "home office" worker, the question is where do you report to work? You could argue that it's at your home, and the employer can argue it's at the location where your manager works.

Unfortunately, there is no case law interpreting this dilemma. The only thing that you can do would be to make your request in writing, to have the file sent to your home as that is where you "report to work," and if the employer refuses, then you would have to file a complaint with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and see if the DLSE will support your interpretation of the law.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would it be reasonable to request a photo copy be made and mailed to me at my home office?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
It's reasonable, but the law boils down to the issue of "where do you report to work?" There's simply no easy answer to that, without a judge involved, and the fastest way to get a judge involved is to complain to the DLSE. The investigator may tell you that DLSE believes you have to visit the employer, and if so, then you're stuck -- unless you want to sue, in which case you will be spending significant time and money fighting over this.

The law does state that the employer cannot reduce the employee's compensation while inspecting the file. This, arguably could be used to require payment for your travel time, since that's the only way you can inspect the file. Once again, without the DLSE involved, you will be fighting about this in court.

Hope this helps.