How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ex-employee who filed a labor board charge against

Resolved Question:

I have an ex-employee who filed a labor board charge against me in order to force me to give him 5 website domains that I owned. Since I am going through some personal issues, I gave in to him and once he dropped the claim I gave him the domains. This happened last week. He sent both me and my attorney emails to the effect that this was his "bargaining chip" against me and said that the only reason he filed the claim was to get me to give him the domains. After researching this, I found that it is extortion according to CA penal code 518 pc. Is it? and if so, how do I prosecute? Should I get an attorney or just go to the police?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Sorry no one picked up your question earlier. Everyone must be out on a date!

Anyway, the answer to your questsion is that only the county district attorney can prosecute an extortion charge under California law. So, if that's your goal, then the police or the DA is the only place to go with your complaint.

However, just so you understand, the DA may not agree that your former worker was committing extortion -- and if not, then there would be no prosecution.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions