California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

What is the penalty for working into a film crews weekend

Customer Question
What is the penalty for...
What is the penalty for working into a film crew's weekend turnaround time? Usually 54 hours for a 5 day week. e.g. Worker called in at 4PM on Friday and worked until 2 am on Saturday. He worked 8 hours at straight time, but if he's called back to work on Monday at 7am, he has only a 52 hour turnaround and not 54. So what would he be paid extra for those 2 hours?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
7/20/2011
California Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Sorry for the delay, but I've been out of the office.

You are using the term "penalty," which legally means a fine payable to the government or court. I don't think this is necessarily what you mean. That said, each Labor Code violation subjects the employer to a $50 penalty for the first violation, and a $100 penalty for each subsequent violation. Labor Code § 1199.

However, there is no penalty for working more than 5 days per week in the motion picture/television industry. The employee is simply entitled to overtime for the additional hours.

If what you mean is how much overtime is the employee entitled to, and that the film crew has elected an "alternative work schedule," pursuant to IWC Order 12-2001(3)(B), then: "All work performed in any workday beyond the schedule established by the agreement up to 12 hours a day or beyond 40 hours per week shall be paid at one and one-half (1 1/2) times the employee’s regular rate of pay. All work performed in excess of 12 hours per day and any work in excess of eight (8) hours on those days worked beyond the regularly scheduled number of workdays established by the alternative workweek agreement shall be paid at double the employee’s regular rate of pay."

Note: If I've misunderstood your question, then feel free to clarify.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Lawyer
I understand daily overtime. Is there extra pay if you work into a weekend when a weekend is defined as 54 hours? So you work Friday night until 11:30PM on Friday, but call you back at 5:30am on Monday. Do you get additional payment?
Defined as 54 hours by whom or what (union contract, labor code alternative work agreement, etc.)?

Do me a favor and give me a one week schedule with hours for each day, so I can actually see what you're talking about.

Thanks. (going to dinner, back later).
socrateaser, Lawyer