How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38901
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is how long can an employeer keep you on a sus

Resolved Question:

My question is how long can an employeer keep you on a suspension
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
The answer depends upon the employer's written policies, and the nature of the suspension. "...a person who has been indefinitely suspended for misconduct has become unemployed just as surely as one who has been discharged." Morris v. Unemployment Ins. Appeals Board, 34 Cal. App. 3d 1002, at 1007 (Cal. App. 2d Dist. 1973).

There is no bright line here. If you believe that the employer has effectively suspended you as a means to fire you without actually saying so, then you can file for unemployment benefits, and let the UI investigator decide.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions