How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not represented in a California Workers Compensation case.

Customer Question

I am not represented in a California Workers Compensation case. Does Californian Labor Code Section 4906 allow me to hire an attorney for a few hours for me to get advice, and does the Court have to give me premission to do this since in CA, Attorneys wont discuss a Workers Comp case unless they are represtenting you. Does the court give me permission to hire an attorney at my own expense and does the Court set the rate for compensation for the attorney?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The problem you are running into is not that the attorney may not agree to provide counseling without you agreeing to hire them for the entire case---it is because just answering a few questions for you may open them up to a later legal malpractice claim by you if and when things don't go well for you. This is generally a concern where an attorney agrees to only provide a small part of representation in a case.

You do not need the permission of the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board to get legal counseling.

Look around and I'm sure that you will find a workers' compensation attorney who will talk with you about your case---perhaps at no charge in an initial consultation.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system as regards Accepting answers. I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,