How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38901
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have owned and operated a business in CA for the last five

Resolved Question:

I have owned and operated a business in CA for the last five years. Over these five years, I did not pay myself a regular salary, but only used the revenue from the company that I needed for living expenses. My company has recently become insolvent and I am now forced to look for a job. Am I eligible for unemployment compensation until I find a job?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
In order to qualify for unemployment in California, you must have had eligible wage during the first four of the last five calendar quarters prior to your filing for benefits. If you paid into the unemployment system during the above-described time period, then you would be eligible for benefits, but only if your business can no longer pay you because of circumstances beyond your control (loss of revenue, contracts, etc.).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions