Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent,
Experience:  Executive Director at Neurogenx Nerve Center of Princeton
92304199

There was supposedly a missed payment from a vendor that was

There was supposedly a missed payment from a vendor that was sent to collections. I called vendor and paid everything in full. Can the collection agency charge me for interest and a late fee?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Olivia and I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you. Please note that while I do strive for real time responses there are occasions where I am called away from my desk or on a call or in court and cannot respond in real time. Please be assured that you will receive a response. Also, you might be offered a phone call, but you’re under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me (they’re a pop-up offered by the site; feel free to ignore if you don’t’ want a call) - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.

The collections agency cant change you interest OR a late fee if you have no relationship with them... you didn't enter into a relationship stating that you would pay them - so they have no means by which they can collect that against you (unless, perhaps, if they take you to court and show how it was they came upon the debt). But, it's not likely to succeed if you've already paid the vendor directly. Can I answer anything else for you? Please let me know. I’m always happy to answer follow ups and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. Just please consider the fact that we have no control over the law. Also, if there's anything I'm misunderstanding about your question, please let me know. If you don’t need any additional information at this time, a “THANKS FOR THE INFO” will allow me to record that I’ve answered your question. It won’t close out the question or anything like that, so if you think of anything else I’ll be able to help you with that as well :-) Thank you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I would like to write them a letter so that there is paper trail and because I do not want this to effect my credit. What can I reference in my letter? Is there some kind of code?

there's no code you'd need to reference - but if you can get a receipt showing payment you can just send it to them. Also, the collections agency can't put this on your credit - and if the original creditor did, hopefully they'll be willing to remove it now that you've paid in full. Is there anything else I can answer for you? If you have all of the information you need, a “THANKS FOR THE INFO” will allow me to record the question as answered, but it won’t close out your question so if you have follow-up questions I would be happy to answer them.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
If the collection agency puts this on my credit report what do I need to do to remove this?

You would dispute it directly with the credit bureaus.

But if it's not a debt they hold, they can't. And once you show that you paid it, the credit bureau will remove it.

Hey there. This is Olivia from Just Answer. I was the attorney helping you with your question. I never got a response back from you… just wanted to check back in with you to see if I can answer anything else for you - anything at all - and to make sure that you got the last answer I sent to you since I never heard back. Can you please let me know - even if it's with something as simple as "THANKS FOR THE INFO" or "ACCEPTED" - OR you can simply type back a single number from 1 to 5, with 5 being highest… Sometimes folks just forget to respond and then we're left not knowing if you got the information we prepared for you… Thanks :-)

AND STAY SAFE!