Business Law

My sister and I are starting a business. Actually, it is…

My sister and I are...
My sister and I are starting a business. Actually, it is about the business mentioned in the other conversation. I had already incurred the costs of the LLC formation and it the business is under my name. But since I thought her business idea would be profitable much faster than mine, I... Read full answer
My sister and I are starting a business. Actually, it is about the business mentioned in the other conversation. I had already incurred the costs of the LLC formation and it the business is under my name. But since I thought her business idea would be profitable much faster than mine, I decided to take on her offer to partner with her.I wanted an equitable way for profits to be divided from the getgo so that when we become profitable it is not an issue.
I incurred the cost of business formation, business license and fliers. And I provide advice when needed on whatever subject needed, and come up and fix advertising catchphrases.I also have started what I told her would be a regular investment every 2 weeks within my means.
She is the more active partner. She posts on social media and actively looks for physical clients, possible affiliates The profits from those she will get to keep for herself.
She does not have a lot of cash on hand to invest at this time. I told her since she needs the money, she can get the profits first. Then at some point down the line, we can get our cut. And when that does happen, then I will get reimbursed for the money originally invested.Two weeks ago, I proposed that she gets 60% and I get 40%. And if I cannot contribute in any way advice or monetarily my ownership will drop to 15%. reimbursed
We plan on adding our older sister into the mix. If she becomes an owner, I will drop to 25% and my older sister will get 25% leaving my younger sister with 50%.
However, she just told me that she doesn't think her 60% is enough since she will be doing most of the work. But I also think that since I incurred the LLC formation costs along with regular investments, I should be penalized for not being as active as she is since I do also provide advice. And I also think that less than 40% may not be worth it for me to invest as well.Please let me know if the 60%40% is a fair, and equitable division. I thought it was but since my younger sister mentioned that she was dissatisfied with getting just 60%, I think I may be too bias to know what's fair at this point.
I want to avoid potential fights/unnecessary friction for the future. (this is for an online startup)Kindly let me know.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/9/2018
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

This something that the tow of you need to work out in a logical fashion. It is not something that I can determine for you; but I can provide you with some guidance on how to go about arriving at a fair percentage:

1. You need to add up your estimated time invested in hours and multiply that by a reasonable market hourly rate; then add to the the money invested to date. This will be your capital contribution to the LLC.

2. She need to do the same.; this will her capital contribution to date to the LLC.

3. Divide #1 by the sum of 1+2 and that is your % share.

4. Divide #2 by the sum of 1 +2 and that is her % share.

5. Fix quarterly dates when these % shares are adjusted based additional invested time and money.

6. Document everything and use an operating agreement that spells this out. It will have to be customized. CLICK HERE for a sample form to use as a go-by.

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating so I will be compensated for my time. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
What is the best legal model to use if we want multiple
What is the best legal model to use if we want multiple investors to invest in real estate for flips and/or rental portfolios?… read more
Adam Yarussi
Adam Yarussi
I am still dealing with an ex-partner who is asking to be
I am still dealing with an ex-partner who is asking to be reimbursed on her expenses. We are a start up there was 3 of us. It was agreed upon that the 3 of us would pay the bills and etc....she paid f… read more
Lori
Lori
I created an LLC. I have a partner who is basically helping
I created an LLC. I have a partner who is basically helping managing day to day operations of our event planning company. Although I listed him as a member on the LLC papers He is not contributing fin… read more
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
retired,
Stop searching for answers—
Good morning, are you really there? JA: No. I'm the
I want to trade as a hobby, what is the best approach? An LLC? … read more
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Attorney,
Just wondering about the 60/40 split JA: The Corporate
when bills are due, does the 60% owner pay 60% and vice versa for 40% owner? … read more
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
What is the best way to form a new llc business venture with
What is the best way to form a new llc for a business venture with 60-40 ownership. Myself at 60% bringing the equipment and putting up the cash as well as proposing the idea. The 40% is for the partn… read more
Owner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
If you are a 50/50 partner in a partnership, do you have to
If you are a 50/50 partner in a partnership, do you have to be a general partner or can you be a limited partner so you do not have to pay self employment taxes on your share of profit if you are not … read more
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
Attorney,
Hi, I want to setup a holding LLC to invest in another LLC
Hi, I want to setup a holding LLC to invest in another LLC which operates as an Irish Pub. My LLC will own 62.5% while my Uncle wants to buy into the other share. The reason i want to use a holding LL… read more
Hello- I am setting up an LLC with a business partner. I
Hello- I am setting up an LLC with a business partner. I am providing all capital, and she will be managing the business (a plant nursery) and providing sweat equity. I would like to structure this to… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
HelloWe need to form an LLC for a part-time food concession
Hello We need to form an LLC for a part-time food concession business my family/friend and I plan to run starting in 2014, and have the following questions in order to proceed. Pertinent information i… read more
hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i have a business in the state
hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i have a business in the state of new jersey, which is an LLC i'm just wondering as of a owner can i still gt pay roll like a regular employee… read more
RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq
Attorney,
My sister and I are involved in a partnership starting to buy
My sister and I are involved in a partnership starting to buy antiques at estate sales and resell them on eBay. If our roles were separate I believe it would be easier to distribute the profit; howeve… read more
Managing Member,
Stop searching for answers—
In the State of Virginia the Limited Liability Act describe
In the State of Virginia the Limited Liability Act describe contribution for operating agreements. NOthing there addresses gifts of interest and if an operatinng agreement needs to state upon formatio… read more
Hello all, Im in a time crunch and need some help on these
Hello all, I'm in a time crunch and need some help on these very questions. The questions are very basic business law questions. Thanks for any help that can be offered. 22) John and Jake are partners… read more
My sister and I started a small partnership with a cupcake
My sister and I started a small partnership with a cupcake shop on Aug. 10th of 2010. She walked out on or about Sept. 30th. Her investment in the LLC was 85,0000 and mine was 56,000. I just received … read more
will a promissary note prepared by a attorney legally cover
will a promissary note prepared by a attorney legally cover myinvesting money for a company(llc)?im a felon and the business im putting the 30k start up money for i cant legally b involved in but my f… read more
Partner,
My Sister and I own a restaurant and everthing is under my
My Sister and I own a restaurant and everthing is under my name (corp. and liquor lic) one of my silent parntner who owns 40% is not sharing the losses. how can I buy him out? his investment was $80,0… read more
Hello, I would like to know if you can help me. In 2008
Hello, In 2008 I formed a corporation (LLC) with a partner and so far, we have invested over 50k. My Partner interest in the company is, 40% but as of today, Ive invested more 60% Currently at his tim… read more