Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Are insurance companies required to pay a contractors

Customer Question
Are insurance companies required...

Are insurance companies required to pay a contractors emergency services fees separate from the insured party's deductible and restoration cost for property damage claims

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

The emergency services scope of work have been completed and invoiced. An authorization for work was signed by the insured as well as a completion of work. The insurance company wants to subtract the deductible from the invoice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is the insurance company responsible to pay the full amount.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 day by:
6/2/2018
Business Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 22 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I'm Ok with waiting for an answer. There must be one even though it seems simple it isn't easy. Many insurance companies force their insured to pay the deductible against emergency service after for instance a weather related disaster which has to be handled immediately when deductibles are to be applied to restoration which may not take place until months later if at all leaving both the contractor and the insured responsible for the cost. Is it legal and what is the industry standard.
Business Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 21 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

Response 1: Unfortunately, no.

Response 2: No.

Many insurance companies force their insured to pay the deductible against emergency service after for instance a weather related disaster which has to be handled immediately when deductibles are to be applied to restoration which may not take place until months later if at all leaving both the contractor and the insured responsible for the cost. Is it legal

Response 3: Unfortunately, yes, it is legal.

and what is the industry standard.

Response 4: The emergency services do not waive deductible as stated in the insurance policy. The emergency services are paid minus the deductible.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.