Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have been asked from Discover Financial, to provide a copy…

Customer Question
I have been asked from...
I have been asked from Discover Financial, to provide a copy of SSN, and the rest of Identification documents, such as driviing License, bank account etc.. I've tried to argue this with them, as to me it does not make any sense. When i got pre approved, I gave out my SSN , and i am not buying that i have to send them copy of documents which are case sensitive. I do not have any bank account with them. So now they are giving me two options, either send the documents, or we will close your account. is there any way i can purse this legally? or stop them from forcing me to close the account. There is no online document, nothing on their website, not even in my contract with them, when i obtained the card. Also the explanation i am getting is, they are doing this with all of their customers, and they need to verify information or report it to credit bureau- the only thing is my credit score moved down to 580. could that be the reason or there is something else they are not letting me know?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Business Law
5/28/2018
Business Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 24 days ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Is this with regard to your Discover credit card? What steps, if any, have you taken to determine whether you are in communication with the real Discover Financial?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi Zoey, thanks for the reply. Yes this is regarding the Discover Credit Card. I have not taken any steps beside talking with their support, supervisor, i am not getting anywhere with this. I use my fico, and another app to monitor my accounts, I do not see any fraud, and i have been with Discover almost 2 years now. Yes as i had call them, my account is under a lock.

It's very irregular that any credit card carrier would ask for this sort of documentation from you. I am concerned that you may be a target of potential identity theft.

I suggest you contact the number for Discover on the back of your credit card and call them. Then explain what you've told me here and verify that this is Discover Financial's actual procedure. If it's not, then you want to cease contact with the folks who are badgering you and report it online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.

Contacting support and the supervisor if you got the number from the folks who have been contacting you may only be putting you in touch with confederates of the dishonest people misrepresenting themselves as Discover. That's why you should use the number on the back of your credit card.

If you've done that already, and it's legitimate, then you'd have to comply or they can close your account. But I am having a hard time believing that this is for real.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I called them but again the customer service sees no reason why should i provide SSN copy, and then they transfer me to another department but i am not getting a reasonable answer. Is there anyway i can challenge this, to me it does not make any sense to all of a sudden ask me for SSN verification and sending out copy of it to someone in Discover card.

So you're now saying that even when you start off with Discover's actual number, you get to a department that requires all you've been asked for?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
They could not find my SSN, there are saying they could not verify my SSN after two years? what should i do, i am not feeling their request has any valid base? shall i take legal action?

I'd thought this a likely fraud and a criminal matter. However, as Discover legitimately appears to want all of this, I'm going to opt out and let civil lawyers talk to you of remedies.

I wish you the best with this.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
thanks