Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am a Veterinarian working as a sole proprietor. I am

Customer Question
looking at forming a PLLC...
I am a Veterinarian working as a sole proprietor. I am looking at forming a PLLC. Would this be the best way to go versus an LLC? I practice in Texas. I am also looking at working as a landscape designer on the side. Income from both types of work would be under the same entitiy? Any advice?
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Business Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 26 days ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Professional LLCs. PLLCs offer the same benefits as LLCs. The main difference between a LLC and a PLLC is that only professionals recognized in a state through licensing, such as architects, medical practitioners and lawyers, can form PLLCs.A PLLC is a newer type of business entity than a PC. ... a PLLC, like other LLCs, is a so-called pass-through tax entity, meaning that in most states (though not Texas) only the individual members have income tax obligations, while a PC, like other corporations, usually has its own income tax obligations.

I would set up each of these independently.If you are sued in one the other is not liable and you aren't liable personally for either beyond the PLCC assets.I really think setting these up separately is the way to go.If you were to quit one business and do the other you could just shut one down or if forced to do so again the other one keeps on going without peril.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Happy Easter.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Are you saying set up a PLLC for the Veterinary side and a PC for the landscape side?

Yes I am.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney