Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I run a school for international actors and have a contract…

Customer Question
Hi, I run a...

Hi, I run a school for international actors and have a contract put in place that protects us of people withdrawing from the program once work has been completed on our behalf

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We had already begun steps on her acceptance into the program including assistance with accommodation and receiving her application form where our terms and conditions are stated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

24 hours ago she withdrew from the program but had not paid the $2000 deposit however it’s states “Upon acceptance students must pay a NON REFUNDABLE deposit and I make them sign this agreement.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Business Law
I want to see whether we can still require the NON REFUNDABLE as she had signed the contract and agreed to the terms and conditions. Or do we need to amend our contracts further to protect ourselves in future situations such as these
3/30/2018
Business Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
please. I did pay so I would like to receive an answer
Business Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The answer to your question is that I don't think that you need to do anything in addition to your contract.

As far as this actor, this appears to be a classic breach of contract if she fails to pay the $2,000. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?