Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

What is best way to pay pet groomers. w2 or 1009. Arizona…

Customer Question
What is best way...

What is best way to pay pet groomers. w2 or 1009

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Corporate Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Business Law
3/29/2018
Business Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This is a little complicated because it depends on a number of factors not listed in your question. I will try to summarize. But it will take me a little while.

I am working on your answer now. I am sorry for the delay. It takes some time to prepare a complete answer. Please note the phone call requests are generated automatically from the system. I do not control them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Gnerally, for the owner of a company it is easier and less expensive to pay workers on a 1099. This is because you are not withholding taxes, unemployment or worker's comepensation.

BUT in order to pay workers on a 1099 they can not be your employee. They must be independent contractors.

In order to be an independent contractor the worker must meet certain tests established by the IRS. If they do not meet the standards for an independent contractor, then by law they are an employee and they must be paid on a W2, taxes must be withheld, so too unemployment, workers comp and social security.

In essence is you control their work schedule, how they do the job, provide the space, and equipment they are an employee.

If they control their own schedule, provide their own equipment, and are responsible for their own work they are probably an independent contractor.

See this IRS article for a detailed discussion of the difference:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/understanding-employee-vs-contractor-designation

There is a third alternative. You can set up like barber shops do, where the worker is "renting space" from you and keeps their own earnings. BUT they pay you for use of your facilities and equipment.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer