Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

An associate and I want to open up a security company in…

Customer Question
An associate and I want...
An associate and I want to open up a security company in North Carolina. We have been told that one of us needs to have three years of management in security in order to apply. We do not have three years of management in security but I do have three years of management in other areas. My question is, is there anyway around this or if we start our company in another state can we still operate in North Carolina?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
3/29/2018
Business Lawyer: Andy4712, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Andy4712
Andy4712, Attorney

Anyone can start a business. Is there some licensing requirement that you need 3 years of management to run a security company?

It looks like it is a licensing requirement:

https://www.ncdps.gov/about-dps/boards-commissions/private-protective-services-board/licensing-process

Security Guard and Patrol License

Three years of experience as a manager, supervisor, or administrator with a contract security company, a proprietary security organization or law enforcement agency performing a guard and patrol function. (See G.S. 74C-3(a)(6), 74C-8, 74C-9, 74C-10, 14B NCAC.0301)

can we by pass this and open in another state but still operate in NC?

That other state would need reciprocity with NC so you could get a license.