Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I hired a freelancer to write a copy for a brochure, and…

I hired a freelancer to...
I hired a freelancer to write a copy for a brochure, and sent him a vary clear brief by email and a down payment through paypal.
The result was amateurish at best, ***** ***** completely useless.
what are my options/obligations in this case?
can I stop working with him immediately and cut my losses? or am i obligated to keep working with him and give him full pay?
I really would like to find a way not to waste more time with this idiot, but don't need the headache.
Let me know.
3/28/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney
You may terminate. You also may look to recover fees paid for subpar work.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
as I was writing my question to you, I received this idiotic email:Good Evening:I am contacting you on behalf of a colleague of mine. He informed me that he recently did some work for you, and that you denied him the compensation you agreed pay for services rendered.I work within the Executive Office of the White House. I want to make you aware that there are certain labor laws which you are violating by not compensating people you have employed to do work. Regardless of whether or not find the work to be satisfactory, you are obligated by Federal Law to compensate people you employ (https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-my-legal-obligation-to-pay-employees-39792)
You are also in violation of labor laws within the state of New York (https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/payofwag.shtm)I know Marc to be an honest, upstanding, hard-working individual.You have approximately until 5:00 PM ET tomorrow, Wednesday, March 28 to compensate Mr. Rutledge what you owe him for services rendered, or I will contact officials within the United States Department of Labor, as well as the New York State Department of Labor, and the Better Business Bureau about you and your business practices.I'm being KIND about this, so do the right thing and pay him. If not, you will be hearing from some friends of mine, and at that point, saying "I'm sorry" won't matter.Have a good evening.
Where work not performed as agreed you can withhold pay and seek refund of money paid. You also need not and should not respond to anyone by this individual or counsel
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
acceptable. Thank you.
Very welcome.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Attorney